Powder Valley Poodles is a breeding kennel devoted to raising the best puppies possible for families, individuals and as working dogs.
We can’t do that if our dogs used for breeding have to live in an outdoor kennel for most of their lives. It doesn’t show us their potential and it is unethical and inhumane. I know most breeding kennels operate this way. But we are different.
Dogs need companionship. Human companionship is best. We can’t have all of the dogs that we own right in our home. There is only room, time and energy for so many.
This is why we offer guardianship opportunities for families and individuals who qualify.
Guardian-care dogs in our breeding program must have a secure yard
and an owner who is home most of the time
. Someone working an eight hour, 5 day a week job would not be suitable.
- We pay for all routine medical costs and anything related to breeding.
- The foster owner agrees to pay for food, toys, beds and grooming.
- We provide all initial supplies: crate, beds, food, leash, collar, microchip, toys, etc.
- We also provide training classes on Saturday mornings. The ” Short Course” is a 4 session course that teaches the dog or puppy and new guardian how to effectively communicate. We also cover walking politely on a loose leash, not jumping on people (proper greeting behaviors), waiting politely at doors (not bolting through them) and “sit – stay”. These classes meet once weekly either at Terry’s ranch or in Fort Collins and are offered at no charge to our Guardian families. Guardians wishing to continue past these basic manners may do so with the same instructor offering more advanced classes. All classes offered through Powder Valley Poodles are offered at no charge to our guardian participants.
- The next class for our guardians is both a refresher course AND beginner Short Course for puppies and dogs aged 4.5 months and older. It starts Saturday mornings here at the ranch beginning in October, 2021.
Candidates for guardian parents must live within 60 miles of Fort Collins, CO
and be willing to bring the dog to scheduled veterinary appointments. The new guardian family may keep the dog and her babies after birth and watch them grow up (until the pups are weaned) or choose to let the dog have her puppies here at the ranch and take her back after the puppies are weaned. However — all of the mamas will have their puppies at Terry’s ranch, in the house, with Terry, Toni, or one of the trained Puppy Wranglers present. Once Dr. Wheeler has examined all of the puppies (when they are between 36 and 72 hours old) they then can go to the guardian’s home to raise the puppies if the guardian requests it AND the mama dog is already an experienced mother.
Guardian Homes Needed
Miniature Poodle, Female, Apricot and White. Will mature 12 pounds or so., “Aspen”. Ready Now.
Marti and Aspen
Marti and Aspen
Miniature Poodle, Female, Mostly White Tri-Color. Will mature around 11 to 14 pounds. “Marti” (with Aspen, above)
Yorkie/Poodle, Female, Reddish Brown Sable Phantom (above). Will mature 6 to 10 pounds. Ready September 26th., 2021
I do not believe in keeping dogs all of their lives in kennels, if the guardian homes I am looking for do not materialize in a timely manner I might have to wait until the next available litters before taking on more puppies. The exception to this would be when one of our girls is retiring. I will keep a puppy or two from these litters as there will be no subsequent litters from that particular dog.
This year we are retiring Sophie. She is already in her Guardian home where she gets to stay and be a pampered pet.
If interested in being one of our guardian homes for our breeding dogs please contact Terry by calling (no texts, landline…) 970-568-7585. Remember, Guardians have to live within 60 miles of Fort Collins, have a secure yard and be home most of the day. People who work from home or retired are IDEAL